News Search

FILTER:
#Tinker75
Clear

News Comments Updated
1 2 3 4 5 6
In February 1946, Oklahoma City Air Depot employees began modifying B-29s for atomic testing near the Bikini Atoll, and the historic Enola Gay made its first visit to Tinker for an overhaul.  (Photo courtesy of the Tinker History Office) TINKER HISTORY: Tinker’s tie to the “Superfortress”
The Boeing B-29 “Superfortress” was a four-engine, heavy bomber produced for the Army Air Corps during World War II. The B-29 continued the “fortress” moniker use for Boeing’s heavy bombers which first began with the B-17 “Flying Fortress.” The aircraft was used extensively in the Pacific theater due to its long range and heavy payloads. According
0 1/23
2017
This is the letter sent out by Oklahoma Publishing Company President and General Manager E.K. Gaylord inviting members of the Industries Foundation to a meeting to discuss pursuing an air depot or aircraft factory. The letter is dated Dec. 20, 1940. (Photo courtesy of Tinker History Office) TINKER HISTORY: The Genesis of Tinker AFB
In celebration of Tinker's 75th anniversary, we're looking back at how the base began. In the early 1940s, Oklahoma City entrepreneurs Edward K. Gaylord, Wilbur E. Hightower, Tom Braniff, Frank Buttram, and Stanley Draper and others formed the Oklahoma Industries Foundation after learning that the War Department was looking for an appropriate site to build three aircraft depots, one in the American Midwest.
0 1/17
2017
Work on a modification to the B-24D nose turret takes place at Tinker Field. The major modification on 65 B-24D Liberators began July 15, 1943. (Photo courtesy of Tinker History Office) TINKER HISTORY: Tinker modifies armament on B-24
The Consolidate B-24 “Liberator” was a four-engine, heavy bomber produced for the Army Air Corps prior to and during World War II. The aircraft was used in all theaters of the war with particularly heavy use in the European campaign. According to official Tinker history documents, the Oklahoma City Air Depot had a short, but meaningful association
0 1/17
2017
Col. Daniel “Chappie” James, left, and Col. Robin Olds, commander of the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, stand together for a photo. Colonel James was Colonel Olds’ vice commander on deployment in South Vietnam in the late 1960s. (Courtesy photo) Tinker History: The F-4 Phantom
One of the most important missions at Tinker Air Force Base is providing combat power to the warfighter. The F-4 Phantom II began sustainment here in July of 1970. The Air Force Reserves’ 507th Tactical Fighter Group, now the 507th Air Refueling Wing based here, flew this “MiG Killer” until they switched to F-16 Fighting Falcons in 1988.
0 1/09
2017
BT-13 at Tinker Air Force Base. Tinker History: BT-13 Valiant is first aircraft modified at air depot
The Vultee Aircraft Corp. BT-13 “Valiant” was a single-engine, tandem-seat trainer produced for the U.S. Army Air Corps, U.S. Navy and foreign allies prior to and during World War II. The aircraft was selected and produced as a primary and follow-on intermediary trainer due to its ruggedness, forgiving flight characteristics and stability. Most of
0 1/09
2017
1 2 3 4 5 6
RSS