Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weekends open for scheduled support functions only.
Phone & Fax
Phone: (405) 734-4226
Fax: (405) 734-6434
24-Hour contact for arrangement of funeral honors
Call (405) 706-5689
For off-base, public, or on-base non-official honor guard participation please use:
Armed Forces Participation Request
For official on-base honor guard participation please use:
Color Guard Request Form A
Military Funeral Honors Request
The National Defense Act of 2000, Public Law 106-65 went into effect on 1 January 2000. This law, IAW AFI 34-242, congressionally mandates the team to render final honors for active duty, veteran, and retired Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and Army Air Corps members. The provision of military funeral honors is the main mission of the Tinker Honor Guard and takes priority over all other requests.
- The Tinker Honor Guard functions under a quota system, where each wing is responsible for providing a certain number of members based on the wing's enlisted population. The team is currently comprised of 54 active members divided into 3 primary rotating flights (Alpha, Bravo & Charlie).
- Personnel interested in joining the Tinker Honor Guard, must do so via their unit First Sergeant.
- Each flight performs 14-days of on-call duty (members report to Honor Guard office for duty), 14 days off-duty(members report to their regular work centers) and 14-days stand-by duty (members report to their work centers but are subject to being called by the Honor Guard to supplement the on call flight if funeral support is needed).
- The Tinker AFB Honor Guard averages 45 funerals and 15 color guards per month
- Area of responsibility span approximately 38,000 square miles (43 out of 77 counties) throughout the state of Oklahoma
In keeping with the tradition of the Honor Guard, new members must successfully complete an intense training regiment and be held to the highest of Air Force and Honor Guard standards. Those unable to maintain these standards will not be selected to join the Tinker Honor Guard. Being an Honor Guard member means that we must portray the pride and precision of the Air Force at all times. The Honor Guard staff takes this into consideration with every member wanting to join our elite team. Regardless of past honor guard experience (and highly due to the fact that our procedures are ever changing), each new member must complete a 10-day training course covering all aspects of honor guard drill and ceremonies.
The requirements to join the Tinker AFB Honor Guard are:
- Must be fit to perform Honor Guard duties (i.e, personnel without profiles limiting standing for long periods of time, etc.).
- Must have at least 12 months of retainability at Tinker/in the Air Force.
- Must present a positive, professional military appearance IAW the spirit of para 22.214.171.124. of AFI 36-2903, Dress and Appearance of Air Force Personnel.
- Last OPR must reflect "Meets Standards" and last EPR rating is no lower than "4."
- Do not have a shaving waiver or any visible body tattoos when wearing the short sleeve blue uniform shirt.
- Have a valid state driver's license and government travel card
Flag Folding Script
- A full ceremonial uniform (approx. $1000) is provided uniform at no cost to the member. This includes a new service jacket, two pair of pants, ever shine shoes, hat, honor guard badge, aiguillette, applicable accoutrements, garment bag and all alterations.
- Air Force Achievement Medal eligibility for completing 12 months of active, dedicated, and outstanding service, endorsed by 72 MSG/CC.
- Annual Honor Guard Appreciation Social hosted by the Tinker First Sergeants Group.
- Eligible for quarterly and annual awards to include Tinker Honor Guard Ceremonial Guardsman of the Quarter (Amn, NCO, and Officer) and Ceremonial Guardsman of the Year (Amn, NCO, and Officer).
- Reserved parking spaces at the XChange, Commissary, and the Honor Guard office.
- Honor Guard coins.